Sunday, June 15, 2014

Giant Insects of Taiwan.... and other stuff...

As an antidote to that last post, I give you..... giant bugs!... and, er, one other photo of something else....

And those are my fat fingers, not some small child's...

For scale, the bike computer here is 2.5 inches long and over an inch thick with the mount...
A live one... (the one on the bike had ceased beetling)

Smallest of the bunch, but moving about... also my fat fingers (not two big toes as it might appear to be)

And, obviously, not a bug at all, but I couldn't resist adding this in, and frankly, I didn't have a clue where else to put it. This may be known depiction of a mythological figure, but I was clearly absent that day if it was discussed in class, but in any case, a cherub with a shell or whatnot cradling some dude's genitalia is not my first pick for the front of an apartment building - but that's just me, clearly.  I probably should start a collection of apartment building art and statuary, there's a wealth of ridiculous stuff both in front of and within the lobbies of Taiwanese apartment complexes (to my tender sensibilities).  A friend used to live here and the architecture of the building is a mish mash of different styles, and the art is also a grab bag ranging from this statue, to giant golden horses pulling some other mythological dude's chariot, along with a mess of busts of other guys (that's all out by the pool).  In the lobby are suits of armor and all manner of other ostentatiousness.  And there are elements on the exterior of the building that look to be from Chinese mythology and symbology.  They're clearly hedging their bets,  but it's a great mix if you're into that sort of thing!

2 comments:

  1. Lawn art has long been a passion of mine. That's not to say I want any in my yard, but I am endlessly intrigued by what passes for decoration and what it reveals about the people who choose to put these items on display.
    My focus has been on choices made at the residential level (some of my favorites: the garden gnome, the pink flamingo, the little man in sombrero and poncho with donkey), but you are clearly taking it to another level with your examination of décor in public spaces. I applaud your efforts!
    Now I move from lawn art to semantics and sentence structure. As I reread the above, I am concerned by the phrase "the little man in sombrero and poncho with donkey" and its use of the words "and" and "with". Am I talking about a man and a donkey or a man and a poncho? And if the man is with the poncho, where does that leave the donkey? Such speculation is entertaining but it also illustrates the ambiguity, the beauty and the power of our language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take care of those fingers...I had the Pennsylvania version of that beetle rip a hole in my thumb years ago at a garden party across the street...it hurt!

    ReplyDelete