Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tradition meets modernity in music

I stumbled upon details of a concert at the big city amphitheater in a park about 20 minutes walk from home.  It sounded interesting so off we went, and as it turned out, it was free, so we really had nothing to lose - even if we didn't like it.

The show was traditional Chinese instruments backed by a rock band.   I don't know anything about traditional Chinese music but if I had to guess I'd say that the playing of said instruments is probably pretty proscribed.  That is, one and only one way to play them, and rock would not be it.   Again, I could be wrong about all of that, and I'm looking forward to learning more to find out.  But in any case, it was pretty captivating in that all of these traditional instruments had such cool sounds and timbres, and the players were all clearly talented on them.  It was a really well staged show, with great lighting and sound (actually some of the best outdoor live sound I've ever heard for any show anywhere).



It definitely had elements of cheese layered on top, but regardless, it was good fun watching these  players get a chance to cut loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment